ORLANDO, FL. – One week from today, Orlando International Airport (MCO) kicks off what is expected to be another record-breaking holiday travel season. The travel period is from Thursday, December 21st – Wednesday, January 10th. For the 21-day Christmas / New Year’s travel period, MCO is anticipating nearly 3 million passengers, or a 7 percent increase over last year.
“Our biggest gift to the traveler this holiday season is the expansion of available, easily accessible parking,” says Phil Brown, Chief Executive Officer of the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority (GOAA). “The new “C” parking garage provides our travelers a new option they previously did not have available.” The parking fees for the “C” garage are $15 per day compared to $17 per day at other airport parking garages.
Another gift travelers will notice this year, many of the airlines have newly renovated lobby ticketing and check-in areas, which provides travelers with more flight and wayfinding information plus entertainment.
2017 Projected Passenger Totals/Busiest Days
|Saturday, December 23rd||155,000|
|Saturday, December 30th||154,000|
|Friday, December 29th||149,000|
|Friday, December 22nd||149,000|
|Thursday, December 28th||147,000|
|Thursday, December 21st||146,000|
|Tuesday, December 26th||145,000|
|Sunday, January 7th||144,800|
|Wednesday, December 27th||144,600|
|Tuesday, January 2nd||144,000|
|Saturday, January 6th||142,400|
|Monday, January 1st||140,300|
|Friday, January 5th||140,300|
|Wednesday, January 3rd||140,202|
|Thursday, January 4th||140,202|
|Sunday, December 31st||134,500|
|Monday, January 8th||133,400|
|Sunday, December 24th||132,000|
|Wednesday, January 10th||130,600|
|Tuesday, January 9th||127,700|
|Monday, December 25th||127,000|
To further assist our travelers during this record breaking travel time of year, GOAA and the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) have a number of tips and suggestions to help enhance the travel experience.
- Arrive at the airport at least 3 hours prior to your scheduled flight
- Follow the 3-1-1 rule for carrying liquids and gels in your carry-on luggage. (3.4 ounces or less, 1 quart zip top bag, 1 bag per passenger
- Tape a card with your name and contact information on all of your electronic devices
- Do not pack fireworks
- Firearms are only allowed in checked baggage and must be unloaded and placed in special travel containers
- Wear easily removable shoes
- Passengers with a disability or medical condition should call ahead to the TSA Cares line for assistance upon arrival 855-787-2227
- Do not wrap Christmas gifts
- If traveling with a pet or comfort animal, bring a leash. The pet will need to be on a leash while the animal carrier is properly screened
- Remember to check all bins for belongings after going through screening
- Use the complimentary cell phone lots when picking up passengers to avoid circling around the airport
- Download and use the free MCO mobile app to assist with terminal-wide navigation, flight status and security checkpoint wait times
- If finishing that last minute shopping, airport stores and kiosks are open through Christmas Day with everything from jewelry to fragrances to clothing and high-tech gear
Two final travel tips that will come in very handy at this time of year when flying with nearly 3 million other passengers at Orlando International Airport…
- Do not make light-hearted jokes about security or secure situations
- Please pack your patience!
Happy Holiday’s from the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority
Orlando International airport has more than 43 million annual passengers, making it the second busiest airport in Florida and 13th busiest in the U.S. With the state’s most domestic routes and non-stop service to 57 international destinations, MCO provides global access for business and leisure interests. Supporting a diverse Central Florida economy that features world-class tourist attractions, a medical research hub and growing simulation sector, Orlando International Airport generates more than $31 billion in direct and indirect revenue for the regional economy. As the premier gateway to the nation’s most visited destination, MCO strives to value and delight its customers through an airport-wide focus and design concept known as The Orlando Experience®.